Saturday, March 31, 2018

Poem of Everyone's Soul

And, finally, I've come to the point where what I need most is to be alone.

I'm up, and then I'm down. I'm empowered and then I'm in the dregs. Seeing one do something so repugnant and knowing that I'm powerless to stop it. This is what makes me lose faith-- it makes my skin crawl.

A girl approached me last night. She introduced herself as Kelsi ("with an 'i' "). She was drunk, and hanging out with her friends who's names I don't remember. I recall giving her and her companions a handshake; each exchange varied in firmness and intent. One of them even fumbled with my gesture, opting for a more casual "in" handshake.

She called out to me from her first-story balcony, upon which she was drinking with her friends. One of them was probably her boyfriend. She asked me my name, and so I told her. That's when she climbed over the railing, and trudged through the bushes to greet me, like I mentioned before.

The rest was a series of sour nothings. Everything that came out of each of their mouths was unintelligible, garbled nothings.

I looked into her eyes, and that's when I saw it.

That's when I saw nothing.

And then I was reminded that we were gifted with thought, Kelsi and I. We, all of us, were gifted with thought.

And along with our gift, we were also given the burdened with the weight of the world, all but literally. We were burdened with our own cravings and dissatisfied with the things we never had and the people we'll never become.

And from each burden we unload from our minds, a part of ourselves do we lose. We strip ourselves of our dignity and our virginal aspirations.

But I'm not here to judge-- the more I think, the more I realize Kelsi and I aren't as dissimilar as I'd hoped. 

No comments:

Post a Comment